What is a Registered Dietitian?
A Registered Dietitian is a highly trained food and nutrition expert who has met stringent academic and professional requirements including:
- Bachelor’s degree with course work approved by the American Dietetic Association’s Commission on Accreditation for Dietetics Education. Coursework includes food and nutrition sciences, food service management, business, economics, computer science, sociology, biochemistry, physiology, microbiology, and chemistry.
- Complete an accredited, supervised, six to twelve month experiential practice program at a health care facility, community agency, and food service corporation.
- Pass a national examination administered by the Commission on Dietetic Registration.
- Complete continuing professional educational requirements to maintain registration.
Who Can Benefit from Meeting with a Dietitian?
Food is the fuel that helps make up who we are. Because of the direct connection between what we eat and our health, ANYBODY can benefit from meeting with a dietitian.
Nutritional consulting can be helpful for:
- Diabetes or Prediabetes
- Heart Disease
- High Blood Pressure
- Celiac Disease
- Emotional Eating
- Digestive Problems
- Weight Management (overweight or underweight)
- Athletic Performance
- Clearing up the confusion about what to eat
- Anyone interested in eating for increased energy and maximizing health